Tuesday 17 August 2010

:: learning::


A few years ago I watched a really interesting documentary on Channel 4 by Tracey Emin, called "What price art?" In it Tracey talks about the differences in the amount of money that male and female artists are paid for their creations, and looks at sexism within the art world and the value placed on art. The second half of the documentary looks at the choices some female artists make about having children. This is the part that has stuck with me and gets me thinking. 


The Musician by Tamara de Lempicka

I know that people have extreme opinions about Tracey Emin and her work, but this documentry is not all about her. It touched on a very real and raw idea. Looking at all of the aclaimed artists over the years like  Georgia O'Keeffe, Frida Kahlo, Tamara de Lempicka and Mary Cassatt. Even writing this list I have had to wrack my brains to think of sucessful female artists, which makes me ashamed.

I have found a really interesting article on Wikipedia (hold back your critism, please!) that documents female artists through the ages. It is well worth a read. How many of these women were both artists and mothers?

The Childs Bath by Mary Cassatt
Was their art their children?

For the moment I have chosen to 'give birth' to creative projects, ideas and art. I feel selfish when I think of having to chose between nursing a child and no longer being able to just pull out the paints or stay up all night sewing or crafting. It is a choice I am content with at the moment, but something I had never thought about on a larger scale.

Are you a mother and an artist?
Have you chosen to mother your art instead?
I would love to know your thoughts.

Laura

1 comment:

Whitney-Anne Baker said...

oh yes, the most difficult of choices. My real artistic activity didn't start until my daughter was older but we alwyas did creative stuff together when she was little. I do remember writing furioulsy at my typewriter ehn she had her afternoon nap. Like all theings, it's a question of balance . . having a supportive partner helps!!