Tuesday 28 October 2008

A day in the life



Over the last week I have been sniffing and sneezing, so hard that I pulled something in my back! So in the midst of my resting I have been watching little Mr Pablo much more. My bo brought in a new toy, orginally named "Monkey" the other day. When you squeeze his nose he makes a monkeyish sound and Pablo loves him. He takes him to his sitting places, sleeps beside him and the other day he brought him through to have some dinner! The bottom pic is after a frantic play with Barney the boxer.
Ocotber is a busy birthday month in my family so I have been in my element making up cards. I have started a little set of sewn tea cups and I think I'll frame them and add them to my gallery. This card is kind of special so sit back and I'll tell you why. My aunt M had a beautiful friend called Mazie, who was born in 1905, and in 1998 my aunt gave me a magical chest filled with silks, satin, cotton, linen, tapes and thread which had all belonged to Mazie. Over the years I made lots of little projects from the fabric from the chest. For this little card I used some olive and gold thread, cloth and a piece of tape, and I'm sure my aunt will enjoy the fact that it came from Mazie's treasure box. There is something to enchanting about vintage finds, gifts from the past and things which have seen another life before they reach me.
What is yor favourite "thing" that has had a life before it reached you?

12 comments:

Eleanor said...

Oh dear... I hope you feel better soon. x

Cathy said...

My favourite "lived before" thing was a mirror I bought at a craft fair. The wooden surround was made from floorboards reclaimed from an 18th century barn floor. This company uses reclaimed wood from all sorts of places and always puts the provenance on the back so you know where yours came from. Sadly the mirror has cracked but I am intending to put some sort of craft work where the glass was. A bit tricky because I cannot take the back off but I'll see what I can come up with.

Love the idea of Mazie's treasures coming to new life.

Laura Bray said...

Fav thing that had I life before it came to me? My husband! LOL! Love the tea cups! I'm itching to get back into embroidery. I used to love it as a child.

Andrea said...

your dog is so cute! :] Hope you feel better soon.

Lorna Smith said...

Favourite "thing" that had a life before me ...my pop's art materials. My pops is no longer with us, but everytime I use his paints I think of him. Also my flat...I wonder who used too live in it all those years ago and what did it look like!
Love L XXXX

littlebyrd said...

Hello! I love this post...There are so many treasures I have that come from a past life that I don't know if I could pick one. But what I am really loving right now is some very old buttons I have been buying and using for the hats and other hand made creations I make. SOme of the buttons are 100-150 years old - can you imagine?!
Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Megan Coyle said...

Feel better!

The card you made is very cute--and I'm liking the pictures of your dog.

Julia said...

I hope you're able to regain the feeling of comfort and ease in your back--that's a rough spot to be in!

You have such a beautiful way of using these treasures! I have a set of suitcases that have been passed along to me via my grandmother who received them via her mother's friends before 1900! Whee!

Unknown said...

Hey girl!

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well.

I have a vintage plate that has roses all over it, and I use it for freshly baked cookies!

yum!

Happy Halloween!

Sylvia C.

mushroommeadows said...

the card is beautiful!

Louisa Rose said...

I love your tea cup card, it is definatly magical! Thank you for stopping by my blog the other day, things are going well thanks, I have just listed my first 2 items ekkkk! so i shall see what happens now :) Take care, will look forward to seeing whats new in your shop

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I love the card! Very feminine and dainty! And what fun for Pablo! :) I'm glad to hear you're doing well!

A lot of things I buy 2nd hand (like my teacups) definitely had their own life before they found me!!